Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Dressing Creatively

 He wanted to wear his shorts.  The weather app on my phone said 0C with a windchill of -4C and this beautiful spirited child of mine wanted to wear his shorts.

 Many years ago, at the beginning of my parenting journey, we would have fought.  I would have insisted that no, he couldn't wear shorts on such a cold day.  There would have been much screaming on both our parts and eventually we would have emerged exhausted, overwhelmed, me looking desperately for chocolate, but with him dressed properly.   But that was then.

 Now when Kian hands me his favourite bright orange bermuda shorts with a loud "I wear dis, Mommy!", I smile, digging through his jammy drawer.  We head happily into the day, him wearing brown jammy bottoms underneath his shorts, a brown jammy top underneath a blue and orange dinosaur t-shirt.  He is warm and happy and I'm amused by my little boy's clothing choices.

 I can be right and miserable.  Or I can think outside the box and we can both have fun.

Linking with the lovely Em today;



7 comments:

  1. I wish I would have done this more often. Good thinking, mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you...and good job being flexible mom...you both get what you need...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I've given you a "Liebster Blog" Award- you can read about it here: http://fourunder4plustwo.blogspot.com/2011/11/warm-fuzzy-feeling-to-pay-forward-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! How wise you are! Thanks for coming by my place

    ReplyDelete