Thursday, December 23, 2010

And The Holidays Are Here!

 Holidays are upon us, complete with chilly weather, colds, children out of school, and road trips.  Yesterday we drove into Toronto to visit the Mythical Creatures exhibit at the Science Centre.  While it was very cool, I think I would have enjoyed it more had I been allowed to wander through slowly, not trying to keep my active toddler in view.  Today we drove an hour and a half the other way to visit Steve's grandmother.  We didn't stay long, just for lunch, but I think it was a good visit, especially because of the brevity. By the time we left, our boys had just about exhausted the limits of their good behaviour.  They managed to be pretty quiet for most of the visit, but started getting rambunctious and knocked over a lamp just as we were leaving.  Thankfully it didn't break and Grandma didn't yell.  We knew it was definitely time to leave.

 This evening, I went skating with my best friend Kate and my daughter.  Last winter, our city opened a new outdoor skating rink in the uptown hub.  I skated there a couple times last winter, but it was a first for Kate.  Next to the rink was a giant evergreen trimmed in blue and pink(?) lights.  Upon seeing the rink, Kate exclaimed "It's just like New York, but without the crowds!!!"  Shortly after we started skating, some carollers dressed in Victorian-era garb began to sing.  It was splendid!  This was Aris' first time on skates this year, so she fell down a lot.  She had just gotten back from her grandparent's so she was a little off, but it wasn't bad. I didn't fall, so I count it as a complete success.   We all hope to go again and soon.

 After skating, I quickly put together some sticky buns for tomorrow's breakfast and then us big girls headed out to Marble Slab.   Surprisingly, no one was there.  This was our first time being the only costumers in the store.  We took great advantage of this, trying several flavours each.  Thankfully the clerk was very patient with us, especially when we were distracted being silly.  As I write this, I can just picture T trying to look innocent. :) We laughed, ate our ice cream, threatened to eat each other's ice cream and just generally hung out.  It was good.  I'm sore, tired and feeling vague holiday guilt, but all in all, I think I'm ready for three days worth of family togetherness.  At least we're not doing any more road trips until the 28th.

 I hope you all have a fabulous Christmas!  Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment