Monday, February 14, 2011

Scripture, Thankfulness and Bravery

 It's been a long day and I'm exhausted.  Earlier, I had to fight to keep my eyes open while driving. Since it was barely 7pm, this was a bit concerning.  Several hours later and I'm still not in bed. *sigh*  But I did finish my book. :)

 Yesterday morning was rough.  Nothing like a bad dream to start the day off wrong.  My dream permeated my self, causing to embark on a rant about how much I didn't want to go to church EVER AGAIN! I pity my poor sick husband who had to listen to it.  He peered out from the under the pillow long enough to inform me that I was going to church and then pulled the pillow back down.  I was not a happy Gracie.  I muttered and scowled my way through morning routines and then caught sight of my Colossians memory work.  As I'm behind on my verses, the mere sight of my papers reminded me to start memorizing.

 As I prepared the boys' toast, I began memorizing verses 11 and 12 of the first chapter of Colossians.  Over and over I repeated "being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might so that you  may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of His holy people in the kingdom of light."  The more I repeated the verses, the lighter my soul-fog became.  I realized that what I lacked was great endurance and patience.  My earlier soul-tantrum had come as a result of my endurance and patience waining.  To then read that we can be strengthened with all power according to His glorious might?  What bliss and encouragement!  We're not talking small potatoes here with phrases like all power and glorious might.  Those are the big guns!

 Since then, I've been clinging to that little verse.  It's gotten me through getting my boys out the door, into the van, all the way to church, and then all the way back home from church when my baby puked just as we arrived in the parking lot.  Through all of this, my peace did not waiver.  I'm so thankful.

 Then today, I did something moderately brave.  A friend was showering out grace upon another and I wanted to support my friend.  However, on the guest list were some people who don't exactly like me.  I was afraid, but decided that coming alongside my friend was more important than my fear.  I went and brought with me a very pretty dessert.  It went extremely well.  I wasn't anxious and none of the people I was afraid of came.  I'm so glad I conquered my fear and went.

 I could keep writing, but I am tired.  So instead I'll just add to my list of thankfulness on the day we celebrate love.



 My thousand gifts 21-37

21. Colossians 1:11
22. Getting all my valentine's baking done on time with little stress
23. All the valentine cards were finished well before bedtime on Sunday
24. Actually having dinner ready tonight when Steve walked in the door(this is amazing for me, especially considering what I was making).
25. Homemade Indian food for dinner, including bhajis
26. Being part of a group showering grace on an individual
27.  Not falling on the very slippery walk to school.
28. A calm heart
29. Little boys in footed sleepers(Kian is refusing to wear his daytime clothes which is fine with me because he's so adorable in his sleepers.)
30.  A surprise Valentine gift of maple-flavoured chocolate, chocolate-covered ginger and chocolate mint rooibos tea.
31. The gift of a clean kitchen.
32. A good book.
33. Interesting conversations with my daughter about animals and hunting.
34. A deep conversation with a rarely-seen friend in the midst of chaos
35. A living room tidied by my boys.
36. A bed to crawl into and a husband to snuggle with.
37. Steve. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love #'s 28, 36, & 37 (except my #37 is named Chris) I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete