Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Third Birthday Sunshine

 Three years ago today, the weather was remarkably the same.  It was a crisp day, with clear blue sky and bright bright February sunshine.  Am I remiss in thinking that sun shines particularly bright in February?  Perhaps it has something to do with all the snow.  I digress....

 I remember the weather so clearly because it matched the peace that had settled over my soul after a long dark night.  I was 11 days overdue with my third child and heading into the hospital for induction.  I had been terrified, devastated, irrationally convinced that I was going to be pregnant FOREVER.  It had been a rough night.  And then somehow,  hope and peace snuck in while fear and despair weren't looking and kicked them out.  Dear friends had prayed and were praying for me as we dropped off our then-youngest child and headed to the hospital. We drank tea with the midwives and chatted while waiting for the induction to begin.  Soon contractions began in earnest and then, just under four hours later, Kian Tobias made his way into the world.

 The hour or so after his birth was eventful as there had been some concerns and he ended up visiting NICU.  Soon though, he came back and scant hours later we made our way home.  Now my little tiny baby is much bigger.  Last night, he became ill and while Steve remade his bed, I cuddled him in a blanket and recalled his newborn days.  I remembered those first days of holding him on the couch in the middle of the night, exhaustion dragging at my bones.  Now he eats at normal hours and typically sleeps through the night without issue.  Although he is still rather grumpy and contrary, he has words and occasionally deigns to tell us why he is upset.

 Now my youngest thinks he's a big kid too, insisting that he isn't turning three, but five, thirty-five or forty-six.  He asks to drive the van, insisting that I should share.  He's such a little character, this boy who rhymes girl with squirrel, a ball of bright blonde energy who begs to be chased through the house over and over again.  I'm so blessed to have him as part of our family, our visible reminder of God's goodness(Tobias means God is good).  Happy birthday, Kian!

 Joining with Emily and the others as we celebrate God's grace in the midst of brokenness:


11 comments:

  1. He reminds me of my little brother, so much energy and such an ability to rhyme! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha. happy birthday to your little...my youngest (6) thinks he can do anything i can do as well...too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a lovely story full of joy!!! thanks for the gift of your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your young man : ) You told his birthday story well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I SOOOO relate to feeling like you're going to be pregnant forever but 11 days overdue had to be torture!! I often relive those first precious moments with my youngest too, the pain still so prevalent. They want to be big kids so badly...I wish i could tell them "no." :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What joy and sweetness...GOD is indeed Good--Tobias...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have my hands full just with one!

    Tell him happy birthday from all of Mommy's readers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a loving ode to your little one, friend. happiest of birthdays to him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have a willful young man on your hands -- I recognize the spirit...I have one of those too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The love in your family shines through here - blessings on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to your son,
    and happy birthing day to you as well.

    ReplyDelete