Friday, August 20, 2010

Hopeful Mourning

 At lunch today, I gathered with some extended family and sang Happy Birthday to Aunt Irene.  Two hours later, we gathered at her church to wish her goodbye.  Steve's great aunt passed away on Wednesday and was buried today, on her 88th birthday.  She lived a good life, filled with people, adventure, love and service.  The church was decorated with beautiful banners that she had designed and created with the help of her good friends.  Pictures were displayed showing Aunt Irene with the love of her life.  Today, she celebrated her birthday in heaven with Jesus and her dear husband who passed away 6 years ago.

 There were some tears scattered here and there.  Aunt Irene was a wonderful woman.  I didn't know her long or well, but I loved her dearly.  It has been an honour to be part of her extended family.  She will definitely be missed.  But today, as we celebrated her life, we also celebrated our great hope, that of eternal life.  And it was beautiful!  We came home, not drained and grieving, but refreshed and re-energized.  I want to live my life like Aunt Irene, full of courage, caring and acts of service.  Hearing about her life inspired me to live a better story.  We've been at a crossroads this week wondering what we should do next.  Aunt Irene's funeral has given me direction and motivation.

 Aunt Irene, you were special.  Thank you for your love and your testimony.  I will see you again.  Love, Gracie:)

3 comments:

  1. "She lived a good life, filled with people, adventure, love and service. . I want to live my life like Aunt Irene, full of courage, caring and acts of service. Hearing about her life inspired me to live a better story." Likewise. Thank you for sharing. Thanks too for visiting my blog and your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) so glad to hear that you had some joy amongst your sorrow Gracie. <> <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. good and bad things come together,
    I hope that you take them well...

    happy Belated birthday to your Aunt Irene,
    peace and prayers for the loss of your extended family members...

    have a peaceful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete