Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Office Party

 It's been a very full couple of days.  I have lots to write about, but unfortunately gave myself a paper cut under my thumbnail so typing is painful.  :(  Yesterday was the start of the Radical Read-along.  You can read my contribution here.   I wasn't expecting what I wrote.  Sometimes my writing surprises even myself as I process while I type and talk.   Yesterday's soul-searching was part of a day filled with emotion.  Today was all over the map too.  But in a good way, I think.  We'll see.

 Yesterday evening was a gathering at my husband's office.  Steve works for an absolutely amazing organization.  We are passionate about the work that they do, but more than that, we love their hearts for God.  I'm constantly blown away and challenged by the people that I meet there.  It's a group of amazing, big-hearted, sold-out believers.  They're a diverse group and we love them to bits.  One of the coolest things about this group is how much they love us and pray for us.  These aren't people that we're BFFs with.  But we know that they love and care for us.  It's hard to explain, but I am so blessed to be a part even if it does feel awkward being the only member of a missions organization who hasn't been off of this continent.  *sigh*

 Last night we gathered to say goodbye to a couple who had served with IT for 19 years.  The past five years they served in a restricted country.  Consequently, I don't know them well, but I have been praying for them.  Several other couples that I don't know also showed up for the dinner.  It was neat to put faces to names and say "I prayed for you about this. How are you?"  The missionary we were saying goodbye to was flabbergasted when I said that.  It was fun to bless her like that.

 The downside of having random people praying for you, is that you don't know who knows you.  This results in being addressed by your first name by complete strangers.  I am now very very careful about how I behave, especially when I'm tempted to give a rude stranger the finger.  I never know when that rude person is actually a supporter, prayer supporter or elder/pastor at one of our supporting churches.  Yes, I do speak from personal experience, except that I didn't give the rude stranger a piece of my mind.  I was very good. Really.  As she is a dear friend now, I'm very grateful for that self-restraint.

 I loved last night.  I loved hearing the stories, chatting about books with fellow bookworms, eating excellent food, and being able to pray together.   I am so blessed by this wonderful family we call co-workers.  They are a blessing and an inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment