Thursday, May 13, 2010

Little Miss Anthropologist

 My kids are creative.  Also smart but that's another story.  As evidence of her creativity, my almost 7 year old decided to study her brothers at bedtime.  For years I have maintained the position that men are extremely different from women.  Getting married has solidified that belieft.  Sometimes when talking to(or observing) Steve, I feel like we're from alien planets.  Boys sure are different!

 As a member of a minority gender in our house, Aris has decided to study the majority by observing their rituals.  No, really she is!  Earlier this week, she decided that she was curious about their bedtime and floated a proposal that she be allowed to attend boys' bedtime as a silent observer.  Down she went at bedtime with paper and pen to observe.  She took notes and made a full report to me after her observation period.  I'm not exactly sure what she's going to learn from this, but she's having fun being an anthropologist.

 The creativity of my children blows me away.  As a child, this is not something I would have come up with.  As a child, I didn't know how to play and I didn't particularly enjoy playing.  Just hand me a book and I was happy.  But my kids love to play.  They are so creative and come up with all sorts of interesting scenarios.   I love watching and listening to them at play.  I don't know how playing is something they understand when I don't, but I am so thankful that they do.  Their play brings so much joy to my heart! Except of course when that play involves throwing a wooden rod across the room and breaking plates.  That part I don't enjoy so much.  But the rest is amazing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment